There are a lot of benefits to being a trader, but unless you happen to work on a trading desk, one of the downsides is that it can be a lonely endeavor. Plus, staring at screens by yourself for hours at a time, without any human interaction, can lead to a trader’s biggest enemy: boredom. Bored traders become susceptible to mistakes, and what’s worse, they might lose focus on what’s happening in the market, and potentially miss out on opportunities.
But with the thinkorswim platform from TD Ameritrade, you don’t have to trade alone. There’s an entire online community where you can interact with fellow traders and watch real-time streaming content designed by and created just for traders.
Something on Your Mind? Let’s Chat
Got an idea or observation you’d like to share? Interested in someone else’s view on a potential trade candidate? Try heading over to the chat rooms on the thinkorswim platform.
To access the thinkorswim chat rooms, log into the platform and click the Support/Chat icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. Once you do, you will be presented with a list of available public chat rooms, as shown in figure 1.
Entering a TD Ameritrade chat room is easy; just click the name of the room you want to enter and you’re in. Here you’ll see a list of participants in the room, a real-time, auto-scrolling, time-stamped feed of trader commentary, and a dialog box where you can join in the action.
The chat room boxes can be configured however you like. You can drag them to any area of the platform, or expand or contract them by pulling with your cursor at any corner. You can have as many chat rooms open as you like, and you can “free float” them—even outside of the platform—by clicking the detach icon in the upper right-hand corner of the box.
Tune In to Trader TV on thinkorswim
This platform flexibility allows you to integrate the thinkorswim live chat rooms with Trader TV. Trader TV gives you round-the-clock streaming content from CNBC U.S., Europe, and Asia, as well as daily programming from TD Ameritrade's media affiliate, TD Ameritrade Network, to which you can tune in for a full trading day’s worth of programming each trading day, beginning at 8am ET/7am CT.
- Futures with Lichtenstein & Hincks. Start the morning with a pre-market rundown of the latest developments, from overnight movement in global equities markets to the latest trading trends in commodities, foreign exchange and interest rate futures and options.
- Morning Trade Live. This two-hour show runs from before the stock market open through the start of the trading day on Wall Street. Guests and contributors offer up real-time news and commentary that takes a look at the markets from multiple angles.
- Swim Lessons. Get key market insights and education on how to use the thinkorswim platform and sharpen your stock, options, and futures trading skills. Swim Lessons also has a dedicated chat room where you can interact with the hosts as well as other traders.
- Real Talk with JJ Kinahan. TD Ameritrade's chief market strategist sits down with industry executives, market participants and thought leaders to explore perspectives on market structure, education, technology and other financial industry initiatives.
- Market On Close. Finish out the trading day with with a recap of the trading session and the top stories impacting the financial markets, plus a look ahead to the next trading day.
With this combination of chat rooms, audio and video feeds, and integrated watchlists and charting, you’ll never have to worry about being bored again. Plus, you can engage even when you’re on the go. Trader TV and chat rooms are available on both the thinkorswim app as well as the TD Ameritrade Mobile Trader app. You can design your trading platform around an engaging, interactive community with whom you can share, learn, and shoot the breeze throughout the trading day. Just a few more ways to get the data and information you need to help you focus on finding the best opportunities in the market.
TD Ameritrade Network
Access live and on-demand programming from our media affiliate, TD Ameritrade Network, which can be accessed via the thinkorswim® platform, Mobile Trader app, or on the TD Ameritrade Network page.